Thinking of You Week

Leave a Comment


I've always loved writing letters in some form or another. Back in school my friend Sarah and I wrote letters to each other even though we saw each other practically every day. At one point we even had a notebook that we kept all of our letters in and just passed the book backwards and forwards. When I was at university in Barcelona I would send a weekly round robin email to everyone in my address book; ridiculously long emails that I doubt were of any interest to most of the recipients back home, but it was my way of feeling like I was at home. Fast forward a year to my placement in Paris, my friend Katie and I would sit in the laundrette on a Monday evening and both write letters to her sister Louise who was back home in England. It became a bit of a joke that we'd be talking about what one of us was writing and commenting on it in our own letter.

I don't know when I stop writing letters regularly. Probably when I joined Facebook and realised how much easier it was to keep in touch with everyone with the simple click of a button. I don't think it's laziness so much as wanting to treat all my friends and family the same. I could send one or two people lovely long letters or quickly say 'Hi' to about twenty within the space of a few minutes. 

But there's something special about a letter though, don't you think? I love coming home from work and seeing the familiar writing of a friend or family member on an envelope and opening it carefully with my letter opener before curling up on the sofa and reading it. When I read a letter from someone I know I tend to hear their voice in my head and it's like they are there talking to me. I appreciate the time that has gone into writing it and the fact that they may have had to go our and buy stamps and find a post box (I'm lucky, my nearest is right opposite my house).

Tomorrow is the start of 'Thinking of You Week' which encourages people to spread happiness by sending a card to a different person each day. Phoenix Trading have supported this initiative since it started three years ago and this year they created a 'Thinking of You' Card Selection Pack with enough cards for each day of this special week. What makes it even better is that £1 from the sale of each pack sold will be donated to Mind which is a cause close to my heart.
I haven't decided who I'll be sending my cards to yet (and even if I did I wouldn't say because I want it to be a surprise), but I will be spending my lunch breaks this week writing them so that I can get them in the post when I get home in the evening. Maybe this will encourage me to write letters more often like I used to, in which case I'm sorry if they become as long as they were in the old days. I like to ramble. I'd encourage you all to take part in 'Thinking of You Week' and would like to know who you would write your seven cards to and why? 
SHARE:
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

CUSTOM BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig